Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Inspiration

So it was New Year's Eve... well, in a romanticized version it would have been.

Anyway, it was around New Year's, maybe a week before the big day. THE DAY. You know, the day that centers around THE question. That pesky, annoying, can't help but be asked question: What is your New Year's Resolution?

Usually, I, being a snarky bastard respond thusly: My resolution is to stop answering asinine questions. This year, however, I actually had a response.

Like I said, it was about a week before New Year's and I was trolling around the internet trying to figure a way to waste the evening, when I stumble upon the most fascinating creature this earth had ever witnessed. She was, nay--IS, a Goddess. The embodiment of all that is perfection.


Her name is Sadie. She is a belly dancer. She is the new reason why I wake up every morning.

I was fascinated by her. She moved like water!, like silk!, like a poisonous snake waiting to plunge her fangs into the next warm body that walked by!, and I liked it.

I was taken aback by how fluid she was, how seemingly boneless, and thought: I could NEVER do that with my body...

then I watched the video again...

then I saved the link as a favorite...

then I started showing it to friends and coworkers...

then, in secret, in very very very VERY secret, I tried to dance.

I was shocked to find that not only did I have movable hips, I also had some skillz. Now, this isn't to say that I was perfect right out the gate, au contraire, I was horrible. I mean, compared to a professional, but to an amateur, a first time never tried it before belly dancing VIRGIN, I was almost talented.

But I had a long way to go.

It sparked in my brain that I was going to learn how to belly dance. I was going to learn by the end of the year.

...well, that seemed like a pretty limp resolution.

Sure, I could LEARN it. For fun, I suppose. Maybe for fitness?.... but I wanted to be Sadie. I wanted to be a professional. I wanted a real skill! A marketable, tangible way to earn a living... and for some crazy reason, I decided on belly dancing.

Now, I am no skinny minnie... I am actually, not "mini" in any sense of the word; I am, however, one determined bitch. When I set my mind to something I go for it. So sure, my weight will be a problem, but a fixable one.

That isn't my main concern this year. Sure, fitness will come, but what I want is to be a professional belly dancer. So... this blog will tell of my adventure. My quest. My UNENDING NEED to be the best possible belly dancer I can be within one year's time.

So, what's my New Year's Resolution? I'm going to be a professional Belly Dancer... Wish me luck folks... this chunky little monkey is going to need it. :)

Sally

2 comments: